Saturday, August 6, 2011

3D Class - Modern Game Art Weapons

I started a 3D class this week! I've been wanting to do this for so long and the opportunity finally came along, so I jumped it! 

It's one of the CG society workshops about Modern Game Art Weapons and it covers hard surface modelling and ZBrush. This week was week one of three. We had to make our high poly model of the weapon of our choice between 3 concepts provided. I would have loved to do the gun, but it is the most complex model and I am so busy right now I am modeling at night.

Here is the original version of the concept art:


I liked everything except the shape of the blade and the simple hilt that give it an army/boot knife look. It's engravings and mechanism inspired me to modify it's shape a bit:


And here is my high poly version of the knife after about 8-10h of work (I had to redo the blade, the mechanism part where the blade starts was really hard since we are not allowed triangles):




Can't wait to get some feedback from the teacher. I have several questions as I have no idea what is going to happen to the mesh in week 2. I did my best to keep it clean despite the gazillion required loops for the hard edges. 
Well we'll see on Monday! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment