Thursday, January 6, 2011

Multi-Tiles !!


Check this out! :)
There is one technique I developed on Dungeon Hunter 2 (iPhone) that I am very happy with. You know how when you play a game, if it's well made, then you don't constantly see the same details in the ground in front of you ?

Well it turns out there is only so much space a game file can allocate to textures, so you want to be as efficient as possible.

I LOVE optimizing stuff, so I played around with it a bit and found a quick and easy way to make textures that not only tile horizontally and vertically, but also on each side. It saved me so much time!!
The multi-tile part means that you can flip and rotate your texture around any which way and thus use one single 256x256 tile to map a whole floor with no redundancy! Add one or two patches, such as rocks or plants and you will have a completely random plane!

yeah...ok..whatever! totally photo-shopped!

When I say it's quick, it is. The grass took me 2h and it's 90% hand drawn. And grass is one of the worst things you can do to yourself believe me. The trick some well chosen detail, lots of blur. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment